Behavioral health care for adult seniors in Aurora
Now more than ever, we are dedicating resources to meet people where they are. Programming is available online through tele health. Led by master's level clinicians, the HIPAA compliant tele therapy option integrates the latest clinical research to provide patients with new tools to master the practical challenges of everyday life. Participants receive the same program components as if they were attending onsite services. This includes group therapy, family meetings, and psychiatry services. If COVID-19 social distancing is lifted, both onsite programming and tele–programming will be offered.
The Behavioral Health and Wellness Center at The Medical Center of Aurora (TMCA) offers a comprehensive older adult and senior mental health program. We deliver individualized treatment strategies for older adults with emotional health stressors or symptoms that cannot be safely and adequately addressed on an outpatient basis.
For more information or to schedule an assessment, please contact our Behavioral Health and Wellness Center at (844) 556-2012.
The older adult and senior mental health program has the capacity to treat individuals who may have a medical condition in addition to any challenging emotions they may be experiencing.
Our physician-led, interdisciplinary treatment team has developed a program specially designed for seniors that integrates approaches supported by the latest clinical research and practices in senior behavioral health. Our program offers:
- 24-hour nursing care
- Assistance with daily living activities
- A multidisciplinary team, consisting of gerontologists, physicians, psychiatrists, nurses, psychologists, therapists and technicians
- Private rooms in a safe, comfortable environment
- Recreation, pet and music therapies
- Assessment/treatment of cognitive and functional decline due to depression, dementia, anxiety and/or substance use
- Extensive network of community resources
Senior behavioral health conditions we treat
Some of the most common behavioral health symptoms we treat for seniors include:
- Behavioral or emotional difficulties
- Difficulty fully expressing emotion
- Disorganized thinking
- Feeling emotions more intensely
- Feeling overwhelmed and directionless
- Inability to care for oneself
- Inability to focus
- Loss of a loved one
- Major changes in personality
- Overcoming anxiety and sadness
- Overcoming trauma
- Reduced ability to manage stress
- Social isolation and withdrawal
- Suicidal thoughts or actions
- Agitated behaviors
- Assaultive behavior or ideas that pose a threat to others
- Disorientation or hallucinations
- Hearing voices and/or seeing things that are not there
- Severe depression
An individualized plan of care
A mental health plan of care involves a mind, body and social evaluation of an individual. The focus of the plan is to support the recovery from a high impact life event and to significantly reduce the probability of mental health issues In addition, each treatment plan is aimed at instilling mindfulness and resiliency to help achieve a balanced life. Our plan of care includes:
- Active psychiatric treatment with 24-hour access to a psychiatrist
- Medication administration and monitoring, as needed
- An aftercare plan linked to the presenting behaviors that resulted in the patient’s admission to the program and addresses post-hospitalization needs
- Ensuring family and individual support systems are an active part of the treatment team to foster positive outcomes
- Ongoing contact with personal caretakers, medical caretakers and the facility (when appropriate for purposes of aftercare planning)
Comprehensive approach to mental health care in Aurora
Our behavioral health services empower patients by helping them develop coping mechanisms designed to improve their daily life skills. Our specialists craft an individualized health program specifically tailored to fit you or a loved one’s unique needs. We work tirelessly to ensure every patient leaves our clinic with the tools and techniques necessary to tackle life.
We begin by building a community of support around you as soon as you enter our care. Upon admission to the program, patients undergo a comprehensive psychiatric and physical assessment. After the initial assessments, an individual behavioral health treatment plan is developed. These often include one or more of our therapy services (group, physical, recreational and occupational), as well as family counseling, nutritional counseling, medication and relapse prevention.
We offer seven group sessions during the week and five group sessions on weekends and holidays. Our team of doctors, nurses, social workers, therapists and mental health counselors will work with your support system of family and friends to make sure you have a community supporting you on your recovery journey.
Intensive outpatient program
Our intensive outpatient program (IOP) is designed to support and maintain mental and emotional health while providing our senior patients with the necessary tools to achieve mental well-being in an outpatient setting.
IOP empowers you or a loved one to explore individual growth and heal within a group setting by participating in treatment during the day and returning home each afternoon.
The Medical Center of Aurora’s IOP is appropriate for individuals struggling with:
- Substance abuse
- Crisis management
- Depression and/or anxiety
- Management of daily living skills
- Medication management
To address these mental health issues and others, IOP participants receive a wide array of structured therapy, including:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Dialectical behavioral therapy focusing on mindfulness, emotion regulation, distress tolerance and interpersonal effectiveness
- Trauma informed therapy
- Dual diagnosis therapy
- Interpersonal effectiveness training
- Life skills
This program is for individuals who are physically healthy and are of no immediate risk of harm to themselves or others. IOP can help you or a loved one better cope with challenging or difficult feelings and thoughts while functioning in an outpatient setting.
Meetings for adults take place Monday through Thursday from 3:30pm to 6:30pm at The Medical Center of Aurora.
For more information, call (303) 360-3736
Partial hospitalization program
Our partial hospitalization program (PHP) provides an intense, structured setting for seniors who have difficulty maintaining current daily routines due to depression, anxiety or other mental health symptoms, and who could benefit from intensive, immediate, outpatient support and an evaluation by a psychiatrist.
This patient-centered treatment program provides flexible treatment options that are less intensive than an inpatient hospitalization while being more supportive than outpatient therapy alone.
The program also offers treatment for seniors at TMCA Monday through Friday, 9:00am to 3:00pm, to allow for the convenience of being home with loved ones in the evening.
PHP treatment includes:
- Patient-centered goal setting and treatment planning
- Psychiatric consultation
- Medication evaluation
- Group, individual and family interventions
- Life skills practice opportunities
- Evidence-based recovery models
We conduct pre- and post-evaluations to determine the success of treatment interventions so that ongoing treatments can be adjusted to best meet patient needs.
For more information or to schedule an assessment, call (303) 360-3736.
Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) is a proven method to help adults and seniors who face challenges achieving mental well-being. Additionally, ECT can be beneficial to patients who do not respond well to medications or who are experiencing a rapid regression into crisis.
ECT is very different now compared to how it was used in the past. Modern ECT consists of controlled, electrical currents that affect brain chemistry in a way that can improve mental health. Today, a team of professionals, including a psychiatrist, an anesthesiologist and a nurse, administer ECT while the patient is under general anesthesia. The number of treatments needed to be successful can vary according to the individual.
Who may benefit?
- Patients who suffer from depression, mania or psychosis and who have not responded or only partially responded to conventional treatments, such as medications and therapy
- Patients who have had multiple hospitalizations and regress rapidly into crisis
- Patients in need of rapid, definitive response because of the severity of a psychiatric or medical condition
- Patients experiencing symptoms of catatonia
- Patients who cannot tolerate the side effects of certain medications
Your partner on the path to wellness
Whether in an inpatient or outpatient setting, our senior behavioral health treatment services in Aurora, Colorado provide you or a loved one with the necessary tools to succeed. As part of this mission, we provide outcome tools that measure growth from the beginning of our program to your or a loved one’s last day of the program and beyond.
Where to find behavioral health services for adult seniors
Older adults 55 years old and older can receive the benefits of our inpatient program, partial hospitalization program, intensive outpatient program and electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) at:
The Medical Center of Aurora
HealthONE Behavioral Health and Wellness Campus
700 Potomac St, Aurora, CO 80011
To schedule an appointment, call: (303) 360-3736
Psychiatric outpatient clinic
Need a psychiatrist for medication management? HealthONE’s Behavioral Health Center offers immediate access for older adults and seniors through our Outpatient Psychiatric Clinic. The clinic is staffed by nine psychiatrists who can help you with your medication needs by developing a balanced medication plan that works best for your life. Brief therapy interventions are also offered to help you along the path to emotional and mental wellbeing.
Our hospital’s Outpatient Psychiatric Clinic is open Monday through Friday from 9:00am to 5:00pm. Some additional times may be available by request. The Outpatient Psychiatric Clinic is located at:
730 Potomac Street
Aurora, CO 80011
To make an appointment, call: (720) 282-8015