Postpartum care in TMCA labor and delivery
Giving birth is the beginning of a lifelong journey for you and your baby. We want to ensure that journey starts on the best foot possible. That’s why The Medical Center of Aurora offers post-delivery care in a private mother-and-baby room. Here, you’ll receive support from experienced postpartum nursing staff and medical professionals while you:
- Bond with your baby
- Recover from childbirth
- Begin breastfeeding, if desired
- Learn the basics of newborn care
- Begin the transition home
Postpartum mom and baby amenities include:
- 24 private mom/baby suites
- Comfortable overnight accommodations for your support person
- Room service menu, sibling meals, snacks, and desserts
- Complimentary meal for support person and older siblings
- Sound machines for relaxation
- Luxury bed linens, robes, and toiletries
- Studio baby photography with web access
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Hospital-grade breast pumps
- Family bonding time sessions for mom and baby
- Take-home binder with resources for mom and baby
Amenities at and after discharge include:
- Chef-prepared meal for you to take home at discharge
- Breastfeeding support group for families
- Follow-up support call from a Registered Nurse and International Board-Certified Lactation consultant
Skin-to-skin contact for moms and babies
Skin-to-skin contact is the most natural thing for a newborn baby and is a key element in helping mother and baby bond. This bond is important as it increases the success rate of breastfeeding and offers additional benefits as well. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that all babies spend time skin-to-skin right after birth. At The Medical Center of Aurora, we work with you to help make skin-to-skin a beautiful and beneficial experience.
To begin this bonding, we place your bare-skinned baby directly on your chest after birth. This skin-to-skin contact:
- Gives you and your baby the best start for breastfeeding
- Helps babies breastfeed better and longer while encouraging milk production
- Reduces baby’s level of stress hormones and crying
- Helps keep baby's temperature, heart rate and breathing rate stable and more normalized
- Exposes baby to the normal bacteria on mom's skin, which may prevent baby from getting sick
Skin-to-skin cuddling may also enhance how you relate to your baby. Research shows that moms who utilize skin-to-skin contact with their babies tend to touch and cuddle their babies more. Being skin-to-skin can also help lower your stress and increase your confidence as a new parent.
Breastfeeding has many inherent benefits for both mom and baby.
Benefits of breastfeeding for baby:
- Reduces the risk of SIDS, obesity, cancer, diabetes, hypertension, asthma and other chronic diseases
- Reduces the number and duration of illnesses
- Breast milk is easier for baby to digest
- Helps the development of baby’s immune system
Benefits of breastfeeding for mom:
- Decreases the risk of breast and ovarian cancers
- Convenient and ready for baby at just the right temperature
- The healthiest choice at the least cost
- Increases the rate of weight loss in most mothers
If you choose to breastfeed, our team at TMCA is here to support you and your baby. We have Board Certified Lactation Consultants who are available to help and counsel you during your stay. TMCA also offers a breastfeeding support group to assist moms who would like a little extra support. Plan to feed your baby while you’re here so that we can help you and your baby become a successful breastfeeding team. Mothers and babies, significant others, and supervised children are welcome.
Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.
(Except for major holidays or when Aurora Public Schools are closed due to inclement weather)
Across the street from The Medical Center of Aurora main campus:
1444 South Potomac St, Suite 190
Aurora, CO 80012
Free parking is available in front of and behind the 1444 building.
For additional breastfeeding support, call our Lactation Support Line at (303) 873-5812. Leave a message and a lactation consultant will return your call promptly.
Classes and events
There are currently no related events.
Mothers’ Milk Bank
A program of Rocky Mountain Children’s Health Foundation, Mothers’ Milk Bank (MMB) is one of 27 operating donor human milk banks in North America and consistently provides more milk to NICUs than any other nonprofit milk bank. The milk is sent to hundreds of different hospitals throughout the United States, supplying milk to babies across the country who may be premature or have severe illnesses and need human milk to thrive.
The Medical Center of Aurora is a donation and outreach center for MMB. MMB safely screens, collects, processes and dispenses donated human milk as a community service, providing human milk to babies whose own mothers cannot supply the milk to meet their baby’s needs.
For more information, call Mothers’ Milk Bank at (303) 869-1888 or visit milkbankcolorado.org
If your baby requires additional supplementation while at the hospital, we have donor milk or formula available, as well as hospital grade pumps for expressing your own milk to offer the baby.
If you have any questions, please call our lactation line at (303) 873-5812.
Mom’s Mood support group
New or expecting moms, do you struggle with:
- Feeling angry, irritable, anxious or sad
- Feeling as if you are “out of control”
- Difficulty or lack of interest in bonding with your baby
- A sense of guilt, shame, or hopelessness
- Appetite or sleep difficulties
- Isolating from friends and family
- Thoughts or fears of hurting yourself or your baby
Get Help and join our Mom’s Mood Support Group at The Medical Center of Aurora Behavioral Health & Wellness Center.
Mondays from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.
Babies/children who aren’t crawling or walking are welcome.
To sign up, please call (303) 360-3577.
700 Potomac Street, Suite 204
Aurora, CO 80011
Visit our website
For 24/7 crisis support, please call (844) 556-2012