Rehabilitation services in Aurora, Colorado
Physical therapy helps patients who have an injury or a condition that limits their ability to move. At The Medical Center of Aurora (TMCA), we offer a variety of care aimed at helping patients function at their highest level. We begin working with patients immediately after surgery—and throughout their hospital stay—to reduce pain while improving movement.
In addition, we offer:
- Special experience and training in wound care
- Treatment for total joint replacement patients, including a total joint pre-operative class
- Care for neurological, stroke, heart attack and medical patients
- A spine pre-operative class to prepare patients for surgery
About our therapy services
Many conditions can be improved through therapy. At TMCA, our therapies are designed to help patients improve or return to everyday activities as quickly as possible. Our therapy programs include:
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Speech therapy
In addition, we have developed a comprehensive care program with nearby Spalding Rehabilitation Hospital, a licensed acute rehabilitation center that specializes in neurological rehabilitation. This relationship allows patients to transition smoothly from the acute-hospital setting to a rehabilitation facility.
Occupational therapy helps patients who have conditions or injuries that limit their ability to do everyday tasks maintain or resume independent living. At The Medical Center of Aurora (TMCA), our occupational therapy program focuses on cognitive/perceptual deficits and activities of daily living, including:
- Returning to work
- Resuming leisurely activities
- Increased safety at home
- Independent dressing and bathing
- Upper extremity splinting for weakness/spasticity
We also provide patient family education, geropsychology programs, a pre-operative spine class and a stroke support group.
Speech therapy helps patients who have an injury or condition that limits their ability to communicate or swallow. At The Medical Center of Aurora (TMCA), we offer a variety of speech therapies aimed at helping patients function at their highest level. Our speech therapy team works closely with other departments to improve total health for our patients.
At TMCA, our speech language pathologists provide evaluation, treatment and counseling to patients with difficulties in the areas of:
- Receptive and expressive language
Swallowing disorder care
Our specialized care for swallowing disorders includes:
- Modified barium swallow studies: this test is done with a speech pathologist and a radiologist to help understand a patient’s swallowing function, and any problems that happen during swallowing. The speech therapist makes appropriate diet and treatment recommendations based on results.
- Assessment and treatment of swallowing disorders using evidence-based treatment methods