Level III neonatal intensive care unit (NICU)
Sometimes our smallest patients need special attention. To care for them, Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at The Medical Center of Aurora offers one of the highest levels of care for newborns and young babies. Our Level III NICU team specializes in caring for babies that are born prematurely or are seriously ill.
Our NICU team is made up of health professionals from various backgrounds who come together to provide comprehensive care and help your baby get home as quickly as possible—so that you can focus on being together as a family and on getting to know your little one.
The NICU team is made up of:
- Neonatologists, or doctors who specialize in treating premature and very young babies
- Neonatal nurse practitioners
- Neonatal registered nurses
- Developmental therapy specialists
- Social workers
- Respiratory therapists
- Lactation specialists
Having a child in the NICU is usually not planned, and it can be very confusing and upsetting. We’ll work with you and your family to make sure you are involved every step of the way. In order to make sure you can spend all the time you wish with your baby, we allow for 24/7 visitation of designated family members.
Other special features of our NICU include:
- Availability of frozen donor breast milk
- Designated family waiting area
- Kangaroo care, also known as skin-to-skin holding, is encouraged
- Secure unit to ensure safety
- Refrigerator and supplies for nursing moms