Children’s behavioral health in Aurora
A child’s mental health plays an extremely important role in their growth and development. Some children may need to be provided the tools of mindfulness and resilience to experience a healthy and balanced life. The Medical Center of Aurora (TMCA) has designed a behavioral health and mental wellness program specifically for children between 6 and 11 years old.
For more information or to schedule an assessment, please call TMCA’s Behavioral Health and Wellness Center at (303) 360-3650.
Flexible treatment options are available for children who need intensive support and evaluation by a psychiatrist.
Our program is ideal for children who:
- Are experiencing a decline in school attendance, due to sadness or anxiety
- Experience severe mood swings
- Have difficulty expressing their feelings or may be feeling emotions intensely
- May experience behavioral or emotional difficulties, including disorganized thoughts or coping with traumatic events
- May have symptoms of depression, anxiety and/or other obstacles when functioning in everyday situations
- Are socially withdrawn or self-isolating
- Need support to achieve stabilization
- Need to develop coping skills and learn to manage stress
- May benefit from coaching for goal achievement
- May have recently had an inpatient psychiatric admission and need to step down to a structured support program
- May cause harm to self or others
We provide families a safe environment devoted to the unique mental health needs of children.
Our program offers 24/7 treatment for children struggling with mental health and behavioral issues. Treatments may include:
- Group and individual therapy
- Family support groups
- Educational groups
- Loss management and relapse strategies
- Coping strategies
- Medication assessment
- Group and individual follow-up treatment
- 24/7 coverage by board-certified physicians
- Behavioral health tool kits developed to help children adjust back into the community with individualized coping skills.
Our clinical services team
Our physician-led, interdisciplinary treatment team of individual/family therapists and psychiatric nurses has developed a program that integrates approaches supported by the latest clinical research and practices. Our team includes:
- Behavioral analysts
- Discharge planners
- Licensed social workers
- Mental health counselors
- Music therapists
- Art therapists
- Physical therapists
- Occupational therapists
- Physicians and nurses
- Recreational therapists
We address the unique mental needs of children to achieve mindfulness and resiliency using a customized plan that will use some of the following methods:
- Psychiatric and medication evaluation
- Intensive group therapy addressing the developmental and social challenges of adolescents
- Individual and family interventions
- Social and recreational practice opportunities focused on building resiliency
- An evidence-based recovery model based on cognitive behavioral therapy
Group sessions are at the core of our programming and are supplemented with both art and music therapies, as well as education services, including direct instruction in on-site classrooms. Our education services team also coordinates with the patient’s school to use their specific materials for an hour of instruction each day.
Our number one goal is to help your child learn healthy coping mechanisms, so they can find happiness and live a more balanced life. For more information or to schedule an assessment, please contact The Medical Center of Aurora’s Behavioral Health and Wellness Center at (303) 360-3650.
Where to find behavioral health services for children
Children who are 6 years old to 11 years old may receive the benefits of our inpatient program, partial hospitalization program and intensive outpatient program at:
The Medical Center of Aurora
HealthONE Behavioral Health and Wellness Campus
700 Potomac St, Aurora, CO 80011
To schedule an appointment, call: (303) 360-3736
Psychiatric outpatient clinic
If your child needs a psychiatrist for medication management, HealthONE’s Behavioral Health Center offers immediate access through our Outpatient Psychiatric Clinic. The clinic is staffed by psychiatrists who can help you and your child with their medication plan. Brief therapy interventions are also offered to help your child along the path to emotional and mental well-being.
Monday through Friday from 9:00am to 5:00pm. Some additional times may be available by request. Our Outpatient Psychiatric Clinic’s address is:
730 Potomac St
Aurora, CO 80011
To make an appointment, call (720) 282-8015.