Adolescent behavioral health in Aurora
Now more than ever, we are dedicating resources to meet people where they are. Programming is available online through tele health. Led by master's level clinicians, the HIPAA compliant tele therapy option integrates the latest clinical research to provide patients with new tools to master the practical challenges of everyday life. Participants receive the same program components as if they were attending onsite services. This includes group therapy, family meetings, and psychiatry services. If COVID-19 social distancing is lifted, both onsite programming and tele–programming will be offered.
Many of us remember the ups and downs of adolescence as a particularly challenging time. However, some adolescents face additional challenges and may benefit from learning new strategies about coping to live a healthy and balanced life.
The Medical Center of Aurora has designed a behavioral health and mental wellness program specifically for adolescents between 11 and 17 years old. To schedule an assessment, call (303) 360-3650.
The Medical Center of Aurora (TMCA) provides families a safe environment devoted to the unique mental health needs of adolescents. Flexible treatment options are available for patients who need intensive support and evaluation by a psychiatrist.
Our program is ideal for adolescents who:
- Are experiencing a decline in school attendance, due to sadness or anxiety
- Experience severe mood swings
- Are socially withdrawn or self-isolating
- Have difficulty expressing their feelings or may be feeling emotions intensely
- May experience behavioral or emotional difficulties, including disorganized thoughts or coping with traumatic events
- May have symptoms of depression, anxiety and/or other obstacles when functioning in everyday situations
- Need support to achieve stabilization
- Need to develop coping skills and learn to manage stress
- May benefit from coaching for goal achievement
- May have recently had an inpatient psychiatric admission and need to step down to a structured support program
- May cause harm to self or others
Our program offers 24/7 treatment for adolescents experiencing mental health and behavioral challenges. We address the unique mental health needs of adolescents using a customized plan that will use some of the following methods:
- Psychiatric and medication evaluation
- Individual and family interventions
- Social and recreational practice opportunities focused on building resiliency
- An evidence-based recovery model based on cognitive behavioral therapy
- Group and individual therapy
- Family support groups
- Educational groups
- Coping strategies
- Loss management and relapse strategies
- Group and individual follow-up treatment
- Behavioral health tool kits developed to help adolescents back into the community with individualized coping skills
Group sessions are at the core of our programming and are supplemented with both art and music therapies, as well as education services, including direct instruction in on-site classrooms. Our education services team also coordinates with the patient’s school to use their specific materials for an hour of instruction each day.
The Summit Program
The Medical Center of Aurora’s Summit Program offers a comprehensive outpatient treatment for adolescents between 11 and 17 years old who have acute behavioral health symptoms and co-occurring substance use disorders.
The Summit Program is designed to provide dual diagnosis treatment in a safe and supportive environment where adolescents can cultivate the skills necessary to address their mental wellness and addictive behaviors.
The Summit Program provides an individualized care plan led by board-certified psychiatrists and supported by a comprehensive interdisciplinary team of licensed, clinical professionals. Three individual treatment tracks are available to meet the needs of each adolescent. When necessary, extended day programs and in-home visits may be offered to individuals who may benefit from a more intensive level of treatment.
Benefits of the Summit Program include:
- Behavioral analysis
- Comprehensive evaluation
- Group therapy
- Individual counseling
- Expressive therapies
- Daily drug testing (rapid screening)
- Medication management
- Educational support
- Parental guidance
- Case management
- Relapse prevention
- Treatment planning
- Extended 12-hour day or home visits
- Collaboration with outside providers
Our clinical services team
Our physician-led, interdisciplinary treatment team has developed a program that integrates approaches supported by the latest clinical research and practices. Our team includes:
- Staff psychiatrists and nurses
- Certified addiction and mental health counselors
- Behavioral analysts
- Discharge planners
- Licensed social workers
- Music therapists
- Art therapists
- Physical therapists
- Occupational therapists
- Physicians and nurses
- Recreational therapists
Where to find behavioral health services for adolescents
Adolescents 11 to 17 years old may receive the benefits of our inpatient program, partial hospitalization program, intensive outpatient program and PHP/IOP co-occurring program at:
The Medical Center of Aurora
HealthONE Behavioral Health and Wellness Campus
700 Potomac St, Aurora, CO 80011
To schedule an appointment, call: (303) 360-3736
Psychiatric outpatient clinic
If your adolescent is in need of a psychiatrist for medication management, HealthONE’s Behavioral Health Center offers immediate access through our Outpatient Psychiatric Clinic. The clinic is staffed by psychiatrists who can help develop the best possible medication plan for their needs. Brief therapy interventions are also offered to help them along the path to emotional and mental well-being.
Our Outpatient Psychiatric Clinic is open Monday through Friday from 9:00am to 5:00pm. Some additional times may be available by request. Our clinic’s address is:
730 Potomac Street
Aurora, CO 80011
To make an appointment, call (720) 282-8015.