The Medical Center of Aurora has a commitment to the health and wellness of our community by promoting a healthier tobacco-free lifestyle.
- Many smokers make several attempts to quit before finally becoming a forever-quitter.
- Counseling sessions combined with two forms of Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) has shown to increase quit rates as much as 40%.
- Tobacco use remains the leading cause of preventable morbidity and mortality in the U.S.
- Most insurance companies cover as many as 8 sessions of counseling a year.
Individual treatment protocol – Delivered in 4 phases:
- Preparation Session – Motivational interviewing and assessing readiness. Provide choices for NRT –referral to HCP for medicines if necessary. For OTC – NRT, call 800-QUITNOW.
- Quit-Date Session - Coping with withdrawal, behavior and cognitive changes.
- Maintenance – Addressing relapse, forward planning for social events.
- Follow up calls – Brief calls one week after the last session, and three months after the quit-date session.
TOBACCO CESSATION STAFF
- Dr. Chakradhar Kotaru, MD - Medical Director
- Linda Johnsen, RRT - Tobacco Treatment Specialist
- Mala Shalek, RN - Tobacco Treatment Specialist
CARDIOPULMONARY REHABILITATION HOURS
Monday through Friday - 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM