As part of The Medical Center of Aurora’s older adult and senior program, we deliver individualized treatment strategies for older adults with emotional health stressors or symptoms that cannot be safely and adequately addressed on an outpatient basis.
Our older adult and senior mental health program also has the capacity to treat individuals who may have a medical condition in addition to any challenging emotions they may be experiencing.
Our physician-led, interdisciplinary treatment team has developed a program especially for seniors that integrates approaches supported by the latest clinical research and practice.
An Individualized Plan of Care
A mental health plan of care is based upon a mind, body, and social evaluation of the individual. The focus of the plan is to support the recovery from a high impact life event and to significantly reduce the probability of mental health issues while instilling mindfulness and resiliency to help achieve a balanced life. Our plan of care includes:
- Active psychiatric treatment with 24-hour access to a psychiatrist
- Medication administration and monitoring, as needed
- An aftercare plan linked to the presenting behaviors that resulted in the admission and that addresses post-hospitalization needs
- Ensuring family and individual support systems are an active part of the treatment team to foster positive outcomes
- Ongoing contact with personal caretakers, medical caretakers, and the facility (when appropriate for purposes of aftercare planning)
Our Approach to Care
Our behavioral health services empower patients by helping them develop coping mechanisms designed to improve their daily life skills. Our diverse team of specialists crafts an individualized health program specifically tailored to fit your or a loved one’s unique needs. We work tirelessly to ensure every patient leaves our clinic with the tools and techniques necessary to tackle life.
Some of the most common behavioral health symptoms we treat include:
- Behavioral or emotional difficulties
- Difficulty fully expressing emotion
- Disorganized thinking
- Feeling emotions more intensely
- Feeling overwhelmed and directionless
- Inability to care for oneself
- Inability to focus
- Loss of a loved one
- Major changes in personality
- Overcoming anxiety and sadness
- Overcoming trauma
- Reduced ability to manage stress
- Social isolation and withdrawal
- Suicidal thoughts or actions
- And more
Additionally, our mental health treatment programs can help older adults and seniors with:
- Agitated behaviors
- Assaultive behavior or ideas that pose a threat to others
- Disorientation or hallucinations
- Hearing voices and/or seeing things that are not there
- Severe depression
We begin by building a community of support around you as soon as you enter our care. Upon admission to the program, patients undergo a comprehensive psychiatric and physical assessment, after which an individual behavioral health treatment plan is developed. These often include one or more of our therapy services (group, physical, and recreational/occupational), as well as family counseling, nutritional counseling, medication, and relapse prevention.
We offer seven group sessions during the week and five group sessions on weekends and holidays. Our team of doctors, nurses, social workers, therapists, and mental health counselors will work with your support system of family and friends to make sure you have a community supporting you on your recovery journey.
Our Clinical Services
Specializing in psychiatric care for older adults and seniors, our mental wellness program is designed to meet the psychological and physical healthcare needs of older adults. We offer:
- 24-hour nursing care
- Assistance with daily living activities
- A skilled team consisting of gerontologists, physicians, psychiatrists, nurses, psychologists, therapists, and technicians
- Private rooms in a safe, comfortable environment
- Recreation, pet, and music therapies
- Assessment/treatment of cognitive and functional decline due to depression, dementia, anxiety, and substance use
- An extensive network of community resources
Your Partner on the Path to Wellness
Whether in an inpatient or outpatient setting, our senior behavioral health treatment services provide you or a loved one with the necessary tools to succeed. As part of this mission, we provide outcome tools that measure growth from the beginning of our program to your or a loved one’s last day of the program and beyond.
For more information or to schedule an assessment, please contact The Medical Center of Aurora’s Behavioral Health and Wellness Center at (303) 360-3650.
Learn more about our programs, including: