Many of us may remember the ups and downs of adolescence as a particularly challenging time. However, some adolescents face additional challenges and may benefit from learning new strategies to cope and to live a healthy and balanced life.
The Medical Center of Aurora has designed a behavioral health and mental wellness program specifically for adolescents ages 11-17.
We provide families a safe environment devoted to the unique mental health needs of adolescents. Flexible treatment options are available for those who need intensive support and evaluation by a psychiatrist.
Our program is ideal for adolescents who:
- Are experiencing a decline in school attendance due to sadness or anxiety
- Experience severe mood swings
- Have difficulty expressing their feelings or who may be feeling emotions intensely
- May experience behavioral or emotional difficulties, including disorganized thoughts or coping with traumatic events
- May have symptoms of depression, anxiety, and/or other obstacles when functioning in everyday situations
- Are socially withdrawn or self-isolating
- Need support to achieve stabilization
- Need to develop coping skills and learn to manage stress
- May benefit from coaching for goal achievement
- May have recently had an inpatient psychiatric admission and need to step down to a structured support program
- May cause harm to self or others
Our program offers 24/7 treatment for adolescents struggling with mental health and behavioral issues. Treatments may include:
- Group and individual therapy
- Family support groups
- Educational groups
- Loss management and relapse strategies
- Developing coping strategies
- Medication assessment
- Group and individual follow-up treatment
- 24/7 coverage by board-certified physicians
- Behavioral health tool kits developed to follow adolescents back into the community with individualized coping skills
Our Clinical Services
Our physician-led, interdisciplinary treatment team of individual/family therapists and psychiatric nurses has developed a program that integrates approaches supported by the latest clinical research and practice. Our team includes:
- Behavioral analysts
- Discharge planners
- Licensed social workers
- Mental health counselors
- Music therapists
- Art therapists
- Physical therapists
- Occupational therapists
- Physicians and nurses
- Recreational therapists
We address the unique mental health needs of adolescents to achieve mental health using a customized plan that will utilize some of the following methods:
- Psychiatric and medication evaluation
- Intensive group therapy addressing the developmental and social challenges of adolescents
- Individual and family interventions
- Social and recreational practice opportunities focused on building resiliency
- An evidence-based recovery model based on cognitive behavioral therapy
Group sessions are at the core of our programming and are supplemented with both art and music therapies, as well as education services, including direct instruction in on-site classrooms. Our education services team also coordinates with the patient’s school to use their specific materials for an hour of instruction each day.
Adolescent Hospitalization Program
In more urgent circumstances, our adolescent hospitalization program may be appropriate for those struggling with:
- Bipolar disorder
- Major depression or other mood disorders
- Self-injurious behavior
- Sexual abuse/assault
Whether in an inpatient or outpatient setting, our adolescent behavioral health treatment services provide your adolescent with the necessary tools to succeed. As part of this mission, we utilize outcome tools that measure growth from the beginning of our program to your adolescent’s last day in the program and beyond. For added convenience, our Intensive Outpatient and Partial Hospitalization Programs are available for adolescents at both The Medical Center of Aurora and Centennial Medical Plaza.
Our number one goal is to help your adolescent learn healthy coping mechanisms so they can find happiness and live a more balanced life.
For more information or to schedule an assessment, please contact The Medical Center of Aurora’s Behavioral Health and Wellness Center at (303) 360-3650.
Learn more about our programs, including:
- The Summit Program (specifically for adolescents)
- Intensive Outpatient Programs (available at The Medical Center of Aurora and Centennial Medical Plaza for children and adolescents)
- Partial Hospitalization Programs (available at The Medical Center of Aurora and Centennial Medical Plaza for children and adolescents)