When Should I Take My Child to the ER for Ingestion of Nonfood Items?

When a child eats or drinks something he or she is not supposed to, it can be very alarming, especially if you are unsure exactly what it was. The most important step to take is to first get the item away from your child. Do not try to make your child vomit; this may cause more injury.

If Your Child Shows Minimal Symptoms, Call the Poison Center

If your child is experiencing minimal or no symptoms, call the Poison Center first, at (800) 222-1222. The poison center personnel are trained to tell you the next steps to care for your child.

If Your Child Has More Severe Symptoms, Emergency Care May Be Necessary

Dial 911 for immediate medical care if the ingestion is followed by any of the following:

  • Your child does not look well
  • Your child loses consciousness
  • Your child experiences seizures or convulsions

Keep Medications and Household Products Out of Reach of Children

To avoid accidental ingestion of medications or household products, always make sure cabinets that contain cleaning solutions and medications are locked and out of your child’s reach.

The Medical Center of Aurora offers 3 ER locations:

All locations are open 24/7 and are staffed by board-certified emergency physicians and experienced nurses. Please see the map below for locations, addresses, and phone numbers.

Learn more about our pediatric services