Is it safe to have a mammogram?
During the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic, many routine tests like mammography screening were suspended due to safety precautions and the urgent need to focus on treating patients in need. This meant that many planned mammograms were missed this spring.
But experts say it is time to reschedule your mammogram.
"Routine screening mammograms are essential to maintaining your health," says Lisa Dorn, Diagnostic Imaging Specialist with Colorado Breast Care at The Medical Center of Aurora. "Regular screening helps diagnose breast cancers at earlier stages, which may result in less aggressive surgical, chemotherapy or radiation treatments."
While some cancers may grow slowly, others can multiply quickly, making having a mammography procedure a potentially life-saving decision.
"Cancer didn't pause in the same way that our lives did during our 'safer at home' orders," Lisa said. "That's why you shouldn't put off coming in for your mammogram now that imaging centers have reopened."
Comfortable, convenient and safe
Colorado Breast Care has three convenient locations in Aurora, Centennial and Green Valley Ranch. But no matter which center you choose, you can be sure that your safety is our top priority.
We've implemented enhanced safety precautions based on guidelines from the CDC:
- Upon arrival, patients will asked screening questions and have their temperature checked
- Patients will be asked to wear a face mask for the duration of your appointment. This is mandatory for all of our patients and staff members
- Waiting rooms have been rearranged to maintain a 6-foot separation between patients
- With the exception of patients who require a caregiver, guests may not accompany the patient
- Continuous cleaning and sanitizing of surfaces, furniture, pens, tablets and any patient contact items
Colorado Breast Care [https://auroramed.com/specialties/breast-health] has three convenient locationLisa offered "Patients can be confident that with these enhanced measures in place, receiving a mammogram during the pandemic is safe and should no longer be avoided." in Aurora, Centennial and Green Valley Ranch. But no matter which center you choose, you can be sure that your safety is our top priority.