Happy Mother’s Day! Whether you’re an expectant, new or well-seasoned mom, you are our heroes. Thank you for all you do!
If you are expecting, tour the best labor and delivery hospital in Denver and Aurora, The Medical Center of Aurora! Click here to learn more and take a virtual tour now.
It’s no secret that being a mom is one of life’s greatest gifts, but motherhood also comes with large amounts of pressure (especially if this is your first time around the block) and demands most of your time.
According to a 2016 survey conducted by Salary.com, a stay-at-home mom works around 92 hours each week and, if motherhood were a paid position, her annual salary would exceed $140,000. This price tag continues to rise each year, as the roles and responsibilities of being a mom pile up.
Amid all of the demands motherhood brings, it’s important to take time out of each day to care for your mental and physical health, so you can continue caring for the ones you love most. The U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH) Child & Maternal Health Education Program suggests the following for new moms:
- Connect with other moms: It's helpful to share experiences with others who are going through similar issues. Look for a moms' group in your community or online. These groups may give you the chance to learn from others who have been in your shoes and share your own feelings.
- Make time for yourself: Do something for you, like getting out of the house or taking a hot bath without interruption. Have your partner, a family member or babysitter watch your baby so you can visit a friend or run an errand.
- Set realistic, helpful goals: Allow dishes to pile up in the sink if it means that you can get a quick nap.
- Ask for help: Don't be afraid to ask for help from family and friends, whether it's caring for the baby or doing household chores.
- Rest when baby rests: Sleep is just as important for you as it is for the baby. Sleep when the baby sleeps.
- Be with others: Don't spend all of your time with baby. Seek out other adults, like family and friends, who can provide comfort and company. Regularly create a special time for you and your partner or a friend to be together.
At the end of the day, it’s important to remember that every mom needs a strong support system. The Medical Center of Aurora is here to care for you around the clock, so you can continue being the wonderful mom that you are.