Stroke education and awareness are important. Watch Dr. Scott in the video above to learn about stroke symptoms, risk factors and more.
Award-Winning Stroke Care
The Medical Center of Aurora is a Primary Stroke Center, one of eight in Colorado. This certification demonstrates our excellence in stroke care. Primary Stroke Certification is currently the highest level of stroke certification available and is the gold standard for stroke care. We also were awarded with a Stroke Silver Performance Achievement Award from Get With The Guidelines in 2010 and a Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award in 2011.
At The Medical Center of Aurora, our comprehensive stroke care includes:
- Stroke Alert Program to provide better care to stroke patients
- 24/7 on-call neurology coverage for stroke patients
- 24/7 neurosurgical services for hemorrhagic and ischemic stroke patients
- A specially trained skull-base neurosurgeon who specializes in cerebrovascular services, including aneurysms and arteriovenous malformations
- Interventional neuroradiology services with the latest generation of bi-plane technology. Bi-plane technology is imaging equipment that allows the cerebrovascular team to have 3D images of the blood vessels/vascular system in the brain. This allows us to locate the clot and identify the best treatment for reestablishing blood flow to the brain.
- Stroke support group to offer resources for life after stroke
- Neurorehabilitation through our physicial, occupational and/or speech therapy as well as Spalding Rehabilitation Hospital – comprehensive stroke rehabilitation with more certified staff than any other Colorado facility
- AirLife Denver – the region’s first dedicated and certified stroke transport teams
Quicker, Improved Stroke Care
HealthONE ERs across the Denver metro area are now equipped with Remote Presence Robotics, the latest in stroke care technology. This means patients with stroke symptoms who arrive at our ER can be assessed almost instantaneously by neurologists specializing in stroke. As a result, emergency physicians can more quickly treat stroke patients in our ER, and reduce or eliminate long-term stroke impacts on our patients.
The InTouch Health Remote Presence® telemedicine technology includes:
- A camera and microphone for live two-way audio
- A computer on a wheeled cart that is placed in the ER room and connects to the computer of a specialist, much like video conferencing
- Capabilities for the specialist to control/zoom the camera and access remote medical devices
This technology allows for immediate assessment and care of stroke patients by neurologists specializing in stroke, even if the specialists are miles away. Every second counts in stroke care, and The Medical Center of Aurora is dedicated to providing the best stroke care possible.